Reading Please?

Declan Moriarty declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie
Fri Oct 8 07:29:39 PDT 2004

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 07:38:07PM -0400, Karl Wilbur enlightened us thusly
> Declan Moriarty wrote:
>
> >For a change(!) I want to RTFM before doing something.
> >
> >I may have to go to a cable modem at home. For reasons which fathers may
> >understand, I have no wish to turn our family into a network  of remote
> >nodes, with high speed connections to the world's largest suer. I also
> >acknowledge windows will be run online.
> >
> >A firewall beckons. The firewall hint is in the OLD section. Is it still
> >up to date? Anything on cable modems you guys would reccomend? To what
> >extent can a firewall function as a 'Net Nanny'?
> >

> I cutrently have a gateway/router/firewall which was built using LFS as a
> base.  It is using iptables, NAT, IP Masquerading, DNS.  This could very
> easily filter ip address and domains.
>
> It was hacked it together one step at a time and sometimes I am amazed that
> it works.
>
> I could not begin to give you step by step instructions on how to do this,
> I can only say with total certainty that it can be done.
>
> Though I am willing to assist you should you have any specific questions.
>
> As far as reading materials...maybe:
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/index.html
> ...NAT
> ...DNS
> ...IP Tables
> ...Firewall and Proxy
> ...IP Masquerading
>

> I hope this helps.
> --
> Karl Wilbur

Thanks for the offer. HOWTOs have been a last resort, because they have
99% redundancy if my experience is anything to go on. It was to avoid
HOWTOs that I asked.

I read some HOWTO through (dos-to-unix?) early on in my struggle
with linux, and found it so useless, I wrote to the author, who informed
me that everything I was complaining about had already been fixed in the
new version. The new version still had all the crap I was complaining
about. And I have advised many to read sections 10--> of the PPP-HOWTO,
because the rest is bull.

I don't share the belief that punishment is good for the soul, but I
might resort to them if I have to.

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 11:12:22PM +1300, Simon Geard enlightened us
thusly

> As far as I know, the only reason the firewall hint was moved to OLD
> is that the content was added to the BLFS book. Have you read that
> material?

Thanks for the reply.
That sort of organizational nugget makes a lot of sense.  I read the
hint, and thought it good. I have stalled in the blfs 'good book',
largely due to getting too busy with the real 'Good Book' :-)

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.