Reading Please?

Declan Moriarty declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie
Fri Oct 8 06:54:19 PDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 08:14:28AM -0500, JazerNorth enlightened us thusly
> Declan Moriarty wrote:
>
> >For a change(!) I want to RTFM before doing something.
> >
> >I may have to go to a cable modem at home. For reasons which fathers may
> >understand, I have no wish to turn our family into a network  of remote
> >nodes, with high speed connections to the world's largest suer. I also
> >acknowledge windows will be run online.
> >
> >A firewall beckons. The firewall hint is in the OLD section. Is it still
> >up to date? Anything on cable modems you guys would reccomend? To what
> >extent can a firewall function as a 'Net Nanny'?
> >

> I haven't used this, but plan to do so when I need to have a filtering
> proxy.  Take a look at http://dansguardian.org/?page=documentation.

I did take a look. It requires a firewall, Apache, Squid, and appears to
leave the vulnerability that if someone accesses port 3128 directly, they
bypass filtering. I believe people capable of attacking this. Then there
is the whole setup of banned content (Like Spamassassin x 10).

The documentation refers to ipchains. AFAIK, all that has been swapped
for ip[tables, but of course it's not quite the same, is it?It looks
like _a_lot_ of work.

> Enjoy.

(^_^)

--