Reading Please?

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Fri Oct 8 03:12:22 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 12:58 +0100, Declan Moriarty wrote:
> For a change(!) I want to RTFM before doing something.
>
> I may have to go to a cable modem at home. For reasons which fathers may
> understand, I have no wish to turn our family into a network  of remote
> nodes, with high speed connections to the world's largest suer. I also
> acknowledge windows will be run online.
>
> A firewall beckons. The firewall hint is in the OLD section. Is it still
> up to date? Anything on cable modems you guys would reccomend? To what
> extent can a firewall function as a 'Net Nanny'?

As far as I know, the only reason the firewall hint was moved to OLD is
that the content was added to the BLFS book. Have you read that
material?

In your case, you've got potentially infested Windows machines on the
network, so you'll likely want to be doing some blocking of outbound
ports. Maybe something like a web proxy too, so you can block stuff from
objectionable sites... don't know much about setting something like that
up, but it's probably a good idea as a parent.

Simon.