Reading Please?

Karl Wilbur karl at karlwilbur.net
Thu Oct 7 16:38:07 PDT 2004

Declan Moriarty wrote:

> For a change(!) I want to RTFM before doing something.
>
> I may have to go to a cable modem at home. For reasons which fathers may
> understand, I have no wish to turn our family into a network  of remote
> nodes, with high speed connections to the world's largest suer. I also
> acknowledge windows will be run online.
>
> A firewall beckons. The firewall hint is in the OLD section. Is it still
> up to date? Anything on cable modems you guys would reccomend? To what
> extent can a firewall function as a 'Net Nanny'?

I cutrently have a gateway/router/firewall which was built using LFS as a base.  It is using iptables, NAT, IP Masquerading, DNS.  This could very easily filter ip address and domains.

It was hacked it together one step at a time and sometimes I am amazed that it works.

I could not begin to give you step by step instructions on how to do this, I can only say with total certainty that it can be done.

Though I am willing to assist you should you have any specific questions.

As far as reading materials...maybe:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/index.html
...NAT
...DNS