Booting NTFS (Sorting out the Socerer's apprentices)

Declan Moriarty declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie
Wed Oct 6 01:04:43 PDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 04:27:00PM -0700, Steven C. enlightened us thusly

> Here you go sorry it took so long
> # Windows xp
> title WINXP
> map (hd0) (hd1)
> map (hd1) (hd0)
> rootnoverify (hd1,0)
> chainloader +1
> makeactive

Thankjs guys.

I had something like that (without the map instructions), but it fell
over because I didn't have the ntfs_stage1_5 file.

I got a workaround.

XP had this '$win_nt$.~bt' subdir on C. If you get the backslashes right
you can cd into it. I did see a bootsect.bat file, and dd'ed it to the
mbr of hda1, and rebooted. (Grub, btw, is on the mbr of hda, not hda1)

It was a 'doze setup thing - I could 'repair', get a console version of
XP and run fixboot, which sorted the mbr of hda1. Now my dos/win entry
boots ntloader, which chooses between the various m$ viruses (or are
they OSes) on the machine.

This isn't something you can 'improve' intuitively with a click of a
mouse, so I'm safe from my lads.

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.