Booting NTFS (Sorting out the Socerer's apprentices)

Declan Moriarty declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie
Tue Oct 5 09:12:39 PDT 2004

Can someone help me get XP or even ntloader booting?

I have a ntfs partition, which grub won't talk to. But there is an
ntloader on hda1, except the last reinstall of win98 overwrote the hda1
mbr (I can replace the /dev/hda mbr), which means only win 98 boots.

I have my headaches here with my kids. Fixing is in their blood, but they
wade in clicking mouse buttons  and screw up mightily on my pc, just
like the Socerer's apprentice of old.

They hack windoze; XP went in, and they overwrote grub. Windows 98
falls over and they reinstall. Then it's left to me to download the 56
patches, and updates to weed out redialers, spyware, and viruses.
Currently they have no XP. It might be useful one day, so I'd like the
option of booting it before someone else decides they "need" it, and
everything gets attacked again.

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.