download statistics

Ainsley Pereira blfs-support at pebble.org.uk
Tue Oct 5 07:07:36 PDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 03:50:43PM +0200, Martin Kavec wrote:
> my ISP allows me to download only (XX) GB/month. Could you please suggest me
> a tool to monitor a network adapter which I could simply reset at a
> particular time and start accumulating again? Thanks.

/sbin/ifconfig will list TX and RX bytes. Also iptables with -L can list
the traffic that's passed a particular rule, so you can set up a rule
that counts all the traffic arriving/leaving on a given interface.

There are also tools that take such info and present it in pretty graphs
if you search freshmeat.

...but really, get a better ISP ;)

~A.