named crashes when shutting down

DJ Lucas dj at lucasit.com
Sun Feb 29 22:15:35 PST 2004

Christian H. Kuhn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> bind9 installed. I can start and stop it with /etc/rc.d/init.d/bind
> start|stop. But if i shutdown, the symlink /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K49bind
> results in an error message

What message?!

> and a crash of named

Which is bad...

> and the whole system.

..but this is really bad.  Did you vary in anyway from the instructions
in the book?  Any optimizations, extra configure flags, variants in the
dependacies or in the base LFS could possibly give you these uncertain
results, but no telling without a specific error message.  Also, it's
more likely a problem with the order of scripts as they work at times
other than shutdown.

> Any hints, where i have to look for the error? (Yes, in front of the
> computer ...)

Only 'hint' I can come up with is to look at the order of 'K' scripts in
/etc/rc.d/rc{0,6}.d/.  Systematicly run through them start to finish
from K00* to K99*, and see if any obvious deps are being killed off
before it.  (network is really the only thing I can think of ATM)  Maybe
send in with the exact error message, a 'ls /etc/rc.d/rc{0,6}.d/' if you
haven't figured it out just yet.

Thanks.

-- DJ