Hotplug (was...Digital Camera Drivers)

Declan Moriarty declan.moriartyt at ntlworld.ie
Sun Feb 29 08:45:25 PST 2004

On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 11:37:42PM +1300, Simon Geard enlightened us thusly
> Declan Moriarty wrote:
>
> > Hotplug I installed, and fell out with immediately. It's a script,
> > which threw in every module under the sun, sent errors to somewhere
> > else, and screwed up my usb because one stupid module argued with
> > another and I kept getting overcurrent messages. Fearing that
> > something was high and low at the same time (ugh!) I hacked the
> > script. It doesn't start but answers to service hotplug start (Which
> > runs the /etc/rc.d/init.d script)
>
> Hotplug isn't supposed to just try every module until one works -
> certainly, it doesn't for PCI, and I can't see why it should for USB.
> It's supposed to use usbmodules and pcimodules to compare device info
> from /proc, and find the right module to use by looking at the map files
> in/lib/modules.
>
> For example, if I run "usbmodules --device /proc/bus/usb/001/003" with
> a usb stick plugged in, it comes back with "usb-storage". It's getting
> this, I assume, from the fact that /proc/bus/devices lists it as having
> class=80/subclass=06/protocol=50, which according to modules.usbmap can
> be handled by the usb-storage driver.

I see. That's news to me.

When I installed hotplug, nothing worked and I had to search for it to
find where it actually was. I found /etc/hotplug/usb.rc which was
the number of modules it loaded; The modprobe instructions on line 158
to 168 inclusive were commented out by me

root:/etc/hotplug#grep -in modprobe usb.rc
134:    modprobe -q usbcore >/dev/null 2>&1
158:#    modprobe -q ehci-hcd >/dev/null 2>&1
159:#    modprobe -q ohci-hcd >/dev/null 2>&1
160:#    modprobe -q uhci-hcd >/dev/null 2>&1
163:#    modprobe -q usb-ohci >/dev/null 2>&1
165:#   modprobe -q usb-uhci >/dev/null 2>&1 || modprobe -q uhci
>/dev/null 2>&1
166:#    modprobe -q uhci >/dev/null 2>&1 || modprobe -q usb-uhci
>/dev/null 2>&1
168:# HACK BY DEC: ALL MODPROBES BELOW 'FIXME' COMMENTED OUT & THIS
170:    modprobe -q usb-uhci >/dev/null 2>&1
210:    modprobe $MODULE
251:    # (And we can't use "modprobe --autoclean" anyway.)

This humours the controller and starts the usb stuff. There's no real
way to know what module humours the usb controller. I can get away with
nearly any of them by themselves, but not all together.

I'll try and get something more than this out of hotplug, then and go
after those programs Guenter mantioned.

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.