Digital Camera Drivers

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Sun Feb 29 02:37:42 PST 2004

Declan Moriarty wrote:

> Hotplug I installed, and fell out with immediately. It's a script,
> which threw in every module under the sun, sent errors to somewhere
> else, and screwed up my usb because one stupid module argued with
> another and I kept getting overcurrent messages. Fearing that
> something was high and low at the same time (ugh!) I hacked the
> script. It doesn't start but answers to service hotplug start (Which
> runs the /etc/rc.d/init.d script)

Hotplug isn't supposed to just try every module until one works -
certainly, it doesn't for PCI, and I can't see why it should for USB.
It's supposed to use usbmodules and pcimodules to compare device info
from /proc, and find the right module to use by looking at the map files
in/lib/modules.

For example, if I run "usbmodules --device /proc/bus/usb/001/003" with
a usb stick plugged in, it comes back with "usb-storage". It's getting
this, I assume, from the fact that /proc/bus/devices lists it as having
class=80/subclass=06/protocol=50, which according to modules.usbmap can
be handled by the usb-storage driver.

Simon.