Digital Camera Drivers

eklirmr at wanadoo.fr eklirmr at wanadoo.fr
Sun Feb 29 00:53:48 PST 2004

On Sat Feb 28 2004 at 16:47:06 (+0000), Declan Moriarty wrote:
> I have recently invested in a fancy digital camera for family mugshots,
> etc. The software caters for Macs and all versions of windoze, and is
> the typical windows thing: Its is made to have 17 interdependent parts
> (of which I installed about 7), tries to use IE as a front end viewer
> (but only finds Mozilla :-D), and generally does everything you never
> want to do but not the things you do want to do.
>
> It doesn't matter, because it has installed the camera as a removable
> drive, and it can be read by paint shop pro (File/Open). 99% of what
> they installed was (explative deleted).
>
> Will Install Needless Data On Whole Disk. It still does :-/.
>

> How do I get it going in Linux? I actually _can_ see my usb devices,
> but never got beyond that. I don't even have the nodes, apparently.
> /dev/usb is empty

Hi Declan,

Just to add a bit to what others have already said.  I recently
tackled a similar problem, trying to get my Canon Digital Ixus 400
working with LFS 5.0.

After a lot of tinkering, I came to the conclusion that the only way
to get a direct connection is to install gphoto2.  First I took the
lazy way out: on my Knoppix / Debian partition, I just did apt-get
install gphoto2.  However, if you want to build gphoto2 from source,
you'll need to build several libraries and a couple of installer
programs.  See www.gphoto.org:

Nowadays, most people will want to use gphoto2 on the command line and the
gtkam GUI with contemporary USB cameras delivering EXIF images. So you'll have
to get and compile libexif, libusb, libgphoto2, gphoto2, and gtkam.

All the software modules libusb, libexif, libexif-gtk, exif, gexif, libgphoto2,
gphoto2, and gtkam use an automake-based build system. This build system has to
be initialized before you can use it in the ./configure && make && make install
manner you know.

This initialization requires a few specialized build tools like libtoolize,
gettextize and pkg-config. Make sure you have these installed. Then run the ./
autogen.sh script contained in each of the CVS modules which does the build
system initialization for you.

That sounded complicated.  So instead I decided to install a USB card
reader.  That was relatively easy.  Because I don't use modules, I
compiled SCSI and USB support into the kernel and added this to
/etc/fstab:

usbdev        /proc/bus/usb     usbdevfs defaults,noauto,user,devmode=0666  0 0
/dev/sda1     /mnt/flash        vfat     noauto,user                        0 0

As someone already mentioned, you don't need /dev/usb.

And it worked - until a couple of days ago.  Now all of a sudden the
lights on my USB card reader don't come on any more.  Back to the
drawing board.

Paul

--
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/paul.bailey/