a note on etiquette

weasel weasel at beyondnormal.org
Sun Feb 29 00:44:25 PST 2004

michael wrote:
> It has gradually become clear to me that it is awkward to send thank you
> notes upon receiving help when there is nothing else to be said,as it
> only takes up space so i'd like to know if it is common understanding
> that no answer is by no means to be taken for rudeness,and that
> thankfulness is implicit..

I generally assume that any help I provide on any mailing list is
appreciated and that the person on the receiving end it eternally
thankful for having just a smidgen of my endless wisdom bestowed upon
them. (*lol*, are you laughing yet?)  In any case, a quick "Thank you"
is always welcome and really doesn't take up that much space.  Should
you wish to write a long drawn out thank you note the person(s) who
helped you it would surely be welcome too.  I can't imagine anyone being
bothered by the words "Thank you" in any form.

Nick