Digital Camera Drivers

Declan Moriarty declan.moriartyt at ntlworld.ie
Sat Feb 28 09:31:56 PST 2004

On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 05:11:03PM +0000, S. Anthony Sequeira enlightened us thusly
> On Sat, 2004-02-28 at 16:47, Declan Moriarty wrote:
> > I have recently invested in a fancy digital camera for family mugshots,
> > etc. The software caters for Macs and all versions of windoze, and is
> > the typical windows thing: Its is made to have 17 interdependent parts
> > (of which I installed about 7), tries to use IE as a front end viewer
> > (but only finds Mozilla :-D), and generally does everything you never
> > want to do but not the things you do want to do.
> >
> > It doesn't matter, because it has installed the camera as a removable
> > drive, and it can be read by paint shop pro (File/Open). 99% of what
> > they installed was (explative deleted).
> >
> > Will Install Needless Data On Whole Disk. It still does :-/.
> >

> > How do I get it going in Linux? I actually _can_ see my usb devices,
> > but never got beyond that. I don't even have the nodes, apparently.
> > /dev/usb is empty
>
> So's mine.  And I've got a couple of USB devices working.  Do you have
> lsusb?

Let's see
lsusb
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 046d:0850 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Web
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 04cb:0130 Fuji Photo Film Co., Ltd

That looks promising :-). I never bothered with the webcam - it got too
much like suffering, and the results were sad.

root:/dev/usb#lsusb --version
lsusb (usbutils)  0.11

> I'm afraid you are going to have to do one of your least favourite
> things, read some documentation.

Do I ever do anything else? :-)). I have improved - a very little on
that front.

> Hints.  Have a look at gphoto2, see if your camera is supported.
> Doesn't matter if it is not (you should be able to access the camera as
> scsi storage I think), but may help if it is.  Don't know if you are
> using hotplugging.  I would if not.  There is a hint IIRC.

Hotplug I installed, and fell out with immediately. It's a script, which
threw in every module under the sun, sent errors to somewhere else, and
screwed up my usb because one stupid module argued with another and I
kept getting overcurrent messages. Fearing that something was high and
low at the same time (ugh!) I hacked the script. It doesn't start but
answers to service hotplug start (Which runs the /etc/rc.d/init.d
script)

> First thing is to get hotplugging working IMO.
Voila!

root:/dev/usb#service hotplug start
usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.275 $ time 18:35:35 Dec  8 2003
usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:10.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:12.0
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd000, IRQ 11
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:10.1
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd400, IRQ 10
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
PCI: Found IRQ 5 for device 00:10.2
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd800, IRQ 5
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 3
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
usb-uhci.c: v1.275:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
root:/dev/usb#hub.c: new USB device 00:10.0-1, assigned address 2
usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x46d/0x850) is not claimed by any active
driver.
usb-uhci.c: ENXIO 80000280, flags 0, urb dbbe1440, burb dbbe1cc0
usb-uhci.c: ENXIO 80000280, flags 0, urb df8895c0, burb dbbe1440
usb-uhci.c: ENXIO 80000280, flags 0, urb dbbe1440, burb dbbe1ec0
usb-uhci.c: ENXIO 80000280, flags 0, urb dbbe1440, burb dbbe1ec0

What's the next thing?
--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.