Digital Camera Drivers

alex at 22-music.de alex at 22-music.de
Sat Feb 28 09:25:14 PST 2004

On 28.02.04 17:11 +0000, S. Anthony Sequeira wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-02-28 at 16:47, Declan Moriarty wrote:
> > I have recently invested in a fancy digital camera for family mugshots,
> > etc. The software caters for Macs and all versions of windoze, and is
> > the typical windows thing: Its is made to have 17 interdependent parts
> > (of which I installed about 7), tries to use IE as a front end viewer
> > (but only finds Mozilla :-D), and generally does everything you never
> > want to do but not the things you do want to do.
> >
> > It doesn't matter, because it has installed the camera as a removable
> > drive, and it can be read by paint shop pro (File/Open). 99% of what
> > they installed was (explative deleted).
> >
> > Will Install Needless Data On Whole Disk. It still does :-/.
> >

> > How do I get it going in Linux? I actually _can_ see my usb devices,
> > but never got beyond that. I don't even have the nodes, apparently.
> > /dev/usb is empty
About /dev/usb: the LFS MAKEDEV doesn't make USB devices, since there
would be far too many to be reasonable. There's a replacement, though:
look at USB support in your kernel configuration and install the yet
Preliminary USB device filesystem, which is meant to be mounted at
/proc/bus/usb and works nicely with libusb, which allows users to use
USB devices without root rights.

I'm currently running a scanner (canon lide20) and a digicam (casio
QV-3000EX/Ir) with my LFS. My brother has a Canon PowerShot A60 running
with gphoto2.

Have fun!