Digital Camera Drivers

S. Anthony Sequeira sherwin at sequestor.com
Sat Feb 28 09:11:03 PST 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-28 at 16:47, Declan Moriarty wrote:
> I have recently invested in a fancy digital camera for family mugshots,
> etc. The software caters for Macs and all versions of windoze, and is
> the typical windows thing: Its is made to have 17 interdependent parts
> (of which I installed about 7), tries to use IE as a front end viewer
> (but only finds Mozilla :-D), and generally does everything you never
> want to do but not the things you do want to do.
>
> It doesn't matter, because it has installed the camera as a removable
> drive, and it can be read by paint shop pro (File/Open). 99% of what
> they installed was (explative deleted).
>
> Will Install Needless Data On Whole Disk. It still does :-/.
>

> How do I get it going in Linux? I actually _can_ see my usb devices,
> but never got beyond that. I don't even have the nodes, apparently.
> /dev/usb is empty

So's mine.  And I've got a couple of USB devices working.  Do you have
lsusb?

$ lsusb
Unknown line at line 1809
Duplicate HUT Usage Spec at line 2650
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 Virtual Hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 Virtual Hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 03eb:3301 Atmel Corp. 4-port Hub
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 046d:0840 Logitech Inc. QuickCam Express
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 Virtual Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 Virtual Hub

I'm afraid you are going to have to do one of your least favourite
things, read some documentation.

Hints.  Have a look at gphoto2, see if your camera is supported.
Doesn't matter if it is not (you should be able to access the camera as
scsi storage I think), but may help if it is.  Don't know if you are
using hotplugging.  I would if not.  There is a hint IIRC.

First thing is to get hotplugging working IMO.

Cheers.
--
If you always postpone pleasure you will never have it. Quit work and
play