Albert alwagner at tcac.net
Fri Feb 27 16:57:32 PST 2004

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:33:30 -0600
"Dagmar d'Surreal" <dagmar.wants at nospam.com> wrote:
<snip>
> If what you're saying is that you've built the ide-cd code directly
> into the kernel, then you need to instead put the ide-cd ignore=hd?
> directive into your kernel boot arguments (like the lilo append=
> statement) to prevent the kernel from automatically assigning ide-cd
> control of your ATAPI drive at boot time.  Your _other_ option is to
> _put back_ the kernel boot argument "hdc=ide-scsi" so that the kernel
> doesn't try and assign something else (namely ide-cd) control of your
> ATAPI drive at boot time.

What I *think* I am saying is that I didn't compile ide-cd at all,
neither in the kernel, nor as a module.  To tell the truth I am unsure
what you are referring to as "ide-cd code."  I assume that you are
referring to the item in the .config file:

 # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD is not set

Here are the two appropriate sections of .config, minus the "not set"
items:

#
# IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices
#
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_MODES=y

#
# SCSI support
#
CONFIG_SCSI=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=m
CONFIG_SR_EXTRA_DEVS=2
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG=m
CONFIG_SCSI_CONSTANTS=y
CONFIG_SCSI_LOGGING=y

"Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of
thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible,
because there will be no words in which to express it."
    -- George Orwell as Syme in "1984"