modules.conf

Kevin Alm kevinalm at shenessex.heartland.net
Fri Feb 27 14:50:12 PST 2004

On Friday 27 February 2004 04:16 pm, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Kevin Alm wrote:
> > On Friday 27 February 2004 12:27 pm, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:
> > <<snip>>
> >
> > > This one last line was all that needed to be mentioned.  The default
> > > behaviour for the kernel with respect to IDE CD drives is to assign
> > > control of them to ide-cd.  You can stop this one of two ways... One is
> > > to assign control of the particular drive to ide-scsi using the
> > > hd?=ide-scsi argument, and the other is to tell ide-cd to ignore hd?
> > > (once again, with a kernel boot argument) but you'll _still_ need to
> > > assign ide-scsi control of hd? (which is most easily done with a kernel
> > > boot argument).
> > >
> > > When the kernel boots and inits the IDE bus, it will at that time
> > > attempt to assign something to handle each device on the bus.  If
> > > you've built ATAPI cdrom support into your kernel, it's going to become
> > > the handler of your drive whether you like it or not unless you tell it
> > > otherwise.
> > > --
> > > The email address above is phony because my penis is already large
> > > enough, kthx. AIM: evilDagmar  Jabber: evilDagmar at jabber.org
> >
> > I generally agree with most of what you say, however...
> >
> > There is one point I mentioned before that might bear repeating. Because
> > most lfs systems don't use an initrd, compiling ide-scsi as a module and
> > passing the kernel argument hd?=ide-scsi doesn't work as a rule. The
> > simplest, cleanest way to use scsi cdrom emulation is to compile in
> > ide-scsi, compile ide-cd as a module or not at all, and pass hd?=scsi on
> > the kernel line. You don't need anything in modules.conf.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Kevin Alm
>
>  What's an initrd got to do with it ?  I use hd?=ide-scsi on most of my
> 2.4-kernel boxes.  If you're as behind the times as I am you put a stack
> of things into /etc/modules.conf for it.
>
> Ken
> --
> Brighton tops UK Jedi league

Nothing at all for ide-scsi.

The reason you need to put anything in modules.conf is that the hd?=ide-scsi
option didn't work. (If you don't have an initrd containing ide-scsi.o ) Have
a look with dmesg. The ide scan happens well before / gets mounted, so /lib/
modules/<version> isn't available and the hd?=ide-scsi kernel option does
nothing. It's similar to compiling the root filesystem as a module without an
initrd, only the error isn't fatal so you don't get a kernel panic.
Certainly, you can solve the problem with modules.conf, but compiling in
ide-scsi is a lot simpler.

Regards,
Kevin