modules.conf

Kevin Alm kevinalm at shenessex.heartland.net
Fri Feb 27 10:55:43 PST 2004

On Friday 27 February 2004 12:27 pm, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:
<<snip>>

> This one last line was all that needed to be mentioned.  The default
> behaviour for the kernel with respect to IDE CD drives is to assign
> control of them to ide-cd.  You can stop this one of two ways... One is
> to assign control of the particular drive to ide-scsi using the
> hd?=ide-scsi argument, and the other is to tell ide-cd to ignore hd?
> (once again, with a kernel boot argument) but you'll _still_ need to
> assign ide-scsi control of hd? (which is most easily done with a kernel
> boot argument).
>
> When the kernel boots and inits the IDE bus, it will at that time
> attempt to assign something to handle each device on the bus.  If you've
> built ATAPI cdrom support into your kernel, it's going to become the
> handler of your drive whether you like it or not unless you tell it
> otherwise.
> --
> The email address above is phony because my penis is already large enough,
> kthx. AIM: evilDagmar  Jabber: evilDagmar at jabber.org

I generally agree with most of what you say, however...

There is one point I mentioned before that might bear repeating. Because most
lfs systems don't use an initrd, compiling ide-scsi as a module and passing
the kernel argument hd?=ide-scsi doesn't work as a rule. The simplest,
cleanest way to use scsi cdrom emulation is to compile in ide-scsi, compile
ide-cd as a module or not at all, and pass hd?=scsi on the kernel line. You
don't need anything in modules.conf.

Regards,
Kevin Alm