Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Fri Feb 27 09:33:30 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 22:39, Albert wrote:
> OK. My current problem has a better solution.  I'm still not sure I
> understand why.  Nevertheless, thanks to all who replied.  Your comments
> were all useful. Resolution:
>
> (1) Removed the hdc=[scsi|ide-scsi] kernel option from the grub
> menu.lst.
> (2) Added the following from CD Writing HOWTO to /etc/modules.conf:
> options ide-cd ignore=hdc         # tell the ide-cd module to ignore hdc
> alias scd0 sr_mod                    # load sr_mod upon access of scd0
> pre-install sg     modprobe ide-scsi # load ide-scsi before sg
> pre-install sr_mod modprobe ide-scsi # load ide-scsi before sr_mod
> #pre-install ide-scsi modprobe ide-cd # load ide-cd   before ide-scsi
>
> (3) Nothing worked until the last line was commented out.  I don't have
> an ide-cd module.

If what you're saying is that you've built the ide-cd code directly into
the kernel, then you need to instead put the ide-cd ignore=hd? directive
into your kernel boot arguments (like the lilo append= statement) to
prevent the kernel from automatically assigning ide-cd control of your
ATAPI drive at boot time.  Your _other_ option is to _put back_ the
kernel boot argument "hdc=ide-scsi" so that the kernel doesn't try and
assign something else (namely ide-cd) control of your ATAPI drive at
boot time.
              AIM: evilDagmar  Jabber: evilDagmar at jabber.org