modules.conf

Albert alwagner at tcac.net
Thu Feb 26 17:02:33 PST 2004

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:23:45 -0600
"Dagmar d'Surreal" <dagmar.wants at nospam.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 19:13, Albert wrote:
> > I have always before compiled everything I needed into the kernel,
> > so have not been bothered with a modules.conf file.  Now, I find
> > myself wanting to understand how modules work.  I have read the man
> > page and a couple of HOW-TOs, but am still in the dark on several
> > really basic points.   I can get the module names from /lib/modules,
> > but just where do the alias_names come from?  The man page says that
> > the modules.conf file is optional. So when is it required?
> >
> > In this link:
> > http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Module-HOWTO/index.html
> > it says:
> > "If you are maintaining one system and memory is not in short
> > supply, it is probably easier to avoid modprobe and the various
> > files and directories it needs, and just do raw insmods in a startup
> > script." Which startup script(s) would that be?  Does anyone here do
> > this?
>
> That is absolutely terrible advice, and horribly out of date as well.

As you will note, the link is to The Linux Documentation Project and is
dated January this year.  Why is it terrible advice?  And how is it out
of date? This is also mentioned in the Cd Writing HOWTO that you
recommend in another post.

> If module loading is _that_ much of a problem for you,

Do you have issues with me?  Or are you just snippy with everyone?  I
said above that I am learning.  And, no, it's not a problem because I
can get around it.  But I would like to understand it anyway.

> install hotplugd and it should eliminate >90% of it.

How so?  I could find no home page for a product "hotplugd."  I always
understood hotplugging to mean plugging/unplugging devices on a running
machine and I have no hotpluggable devices. Most likely I misunderstand
that also.

> As to the rest of it,
> it's always seemed to me that the kernel devs made it up as they went
> along (which is being corrected in the 2.6 series).

What's different in 2.6?  I haven't looked at it.

> Tell us what
> class of device you're trying to get modules to load for (specifically
> which device) and we'll be happy to tell you what we know.  Generally
> everything comes down to one or two lines in /etc/modules.conf.

In /lib/modules/2.4.24 I have:
drivers
	block
		floppy.o
	cdrom
		cdrom.o
	char
		lp.o
	parport
		parport.o
		parport_pc.o
	scsi
		ide-scsi.o
		scsi_mod.o
		sg.o
		sr_mod.o
		sym53c8xx.o
fs
	ext2
		ext2.o
	ext3
		ext3.o
	jbd
		jbd.o

scsi emulation is for a SONY CD-RW CRX216E

--
"Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of
thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible,