KDE 3.2 slow as root - SOLVED
gbbenson68 at netscape.net
Thu Feb 26 15:00:05 PST 2004
DISCLAIMER : I'm not sure that the problem is indeed solved, but at
least I found
a damn good workaround.
First of all, thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions. In the end, I
found the problem
As it turns out, artsd was chewing up all of my CPU. At first I couldn't
figure out why
it was chewing up so much CPU. On a hunch, I checked the hardware
settings for the sound
device (Settings -> Control Center -> Sounds & Multimedia -> Sound
System -> Hardware)
and found that the audio device was set to "Autodetect". So, since arts
1.2 was compiled
against ALSA (v1.0.2, for those who care), I changed this to "Advanced
Architecture" and applied the changes. Low and behold, the problem
disappeared! Don't ask
me why this change made such a dramatic difference.
Now, the reason why a non-root user experienced better performance was
because at first
I didn't have the permissions set properly on the audio devices in /dev
So, when I first logged in as my non-root user, the sound server wasn't
And, before I applied the correct permissions, I changed the audio
device to ALSA. So,
I avoided the problem for the non-root user, befiore knowing that there
was a problem.
NOW, why is artsd consuming so much CPU when the audio device is set to
Sounds like a question for the KDE developers...
More information about the blfs-support