modules.conf

Albert alwagner at tcac.net
Thu Feb 26 14:52:37 PST 2004

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 14:41:31 -0500
Craig Colton <meerkats at bellsouth.net> wrote:
<snip>
> > My understanding was that the only resource lost is a little memory.
> > You still retain all the flexibility of modules.  You can manually
> > unload and load for testing and debugging.  But the big difference
> > from "built in" is that you don't have to mess with a working
> > kernel.
> >

> Surely the author of the statement above didn't advise the reader to
> use a start up script to test or debug modules.

No. What gave you that impression?

BTW, the author of the CD Writing HOWTO referenced in the BLFS book
offers the same option as the author of the "goofy krap" :

"There are several ways to load the modules next time you start up your
Linux system:
(1) Put the relevant insmod command into the startup sequence
    (a shell script named rc.local or equivalent).
(2a) Run kerneld or kmod and
(2b) configure them in /etc/modules.conf (to be more precise,you
configure the utility modprobe, which is called by the daemons)"

--
"Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of
thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible,