Albert alwagner at tcac.net
Thu Feb 26 13:39:46 PST 2004

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 12:26:33 -0600
Kevin Alm <kevinalm at shenessex.heartland.net> wrote:

> On Thursday 26 February 2004 09:18 am, Albert wrote:
> > On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 23:25:48 -0600
> > Kevin Alm <kevinalm at shenessex.heartland.net> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the tips, Kevin.
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > Using ide-scsi as a module is problematic without an initrd. The
> > > hd?=ide-scsi kernel append doesn't work because at that point the
> > > /lib/modules/<version> tree isn't available.
> >
> > My cdrom is an IDE-ATAPI device. My understanding of the reason for
> > using hd?=ide-scsi as a boot option is to claim hd? as an ide-scsi
> > device and therefore prevent it from being claimed by the ide
> > driver.
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> When ide-scsi is compiled into the kernel, you use hd?=scsi instead of
> hd?=ide-scsi. A little quirk of ide-scsi support. They're the same
> command under slightly different circumstances. It's in one kernel doc
> readmes.

Thank you. I had seen both versions, but had missed when each was
appropriate.

<snip>
> Without an initrd containing the ide-scsi module, a kernel line arg
> hd?=ide-scsi will fail.
> This is because when the kernel tries to
> install ide-scsi support via the kernel line arg, the
> /lib/modules/<version> filesystem usually isn't mounted.

I am a little confused by this. I never expected the kernel to load the
module at the time it encountered the kernel option.  I thought it was
only there to keep the cdrom device from being claimed by the ide
driver.  I assumed that when an application needed the cdrom then the
kernel would load it.

--
"Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of
thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible,