Kevin Alm kevinalm at shenessex.heartland.net
Thu Feb 26 10:26:33 PST 2004

On Thursday 26 February 2004 09:18 am, Albert wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 23:25:48 -0600
> Kevin Alm <kevinalm at shenessex.heartland.net> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the tips, Kevin.
>
> <snip>
>
> > Using ide-scsi as a module is problematic without an initrd. The
> > hd?=ide-scsi kernel append doesn't work because at that point the
> > /lib/modules/<version> tree isn't available.
>
> My cdrom is an IDE-ATAPI device. My understanding of the reason for
> using hd?=ide-scsi as a boot option is to claim hd? as an ide-scsi
> device and therefore prevent it from being claimed by the ide driver.
>
> <snip>

When ide-scsi is compiled into the kernel, you use hd?=scsi instead of
hd?=ide-scsi. A little quirk of ide-scsi support. They're the same command
under slightly different circumstances. It's in one kernel doc readmes.

Dagmar's ide-cd ignor tip is a new one to me. I imagine it will work, but
you'll still have the problem of loading ide-scsi later on. Without an initrd
containing the ide-scsi module, a kernel line arg hd?=ide-scsi will fail.
This is because when the kernel tries to install ide-scsi support via the
kernel line arg, the /lib/modules/<version> filesystem usually isn't mounted.

Kevin Alm