Eclipse Internet VIRUSshield detected VIRUS (W32/Netsky.c at MM) in mail from you.

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Thu Feb 26 09:38:33 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 04:16, Jeremy Utley wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 01:07, Declan Moriarty wrote:
> > How come these m$ virus checkers are finding the viruses while the
> > 'superior' spamassassin (which wouldn't work for me in a blind fit) lets
> > them through? 100% of my spam in this mailbox is from the list. Is
> > somebody updating the spamassassin? How about these rules
> >
> > spam threshold =5.0
> > autolearn=yes
> >

> > html mail +6
> > any .pif, .scr, .exe, .zip attachments +6
> > CAPS LOCKED +9
> > mail by microsoft outlook +3
> >
> > That would probably trim a few off the crud we seem to get.
> >
> > 	/Hot under collar
> >
> > 	Declan Moriarty.
>
> a) SpamAssassin isn't designed for detecting virus E-mail - it's
> designed for detecting Spam - there *IS* a difference, even if you do
> not think so :)
>
> b) I can agree with some of these rules, but I completely disagee with
> the blocking of HTML mail, simply because some brain-dead mailer
> programs will ONLY send in HTML mail.  And I completley disagree with
> tacking spam points onto someone simply because they choose to use what
> IMHO is the BEST mailer for the windows platform.  Yes, I know Outlook
> is a virus heaven, but that's because too many people are too clueless
> to keep up on the updates...they install and run, and get hit.

You can disagree with it all you like, but the statistics of it are once
you've excluded inter-office emails in an Outlook shop, >95% of
HTML-formatted mail is *spam*.  Spammers like HTML because they can do
bul<!-- rosebud -->lshi<!-- monkey -->t li<!-- oranges -->ke this to
evade primitive filters, and force people who are trying to keep spam
from clogging their office resources to spend money on more hardware to
support more complex filtering sets.

> Just my .02 - JUST HIT DELETE!  No spam filtering is 100% perfect, and
> if you think it is, I want some of what ever you're smokin, because it's
> gotta be damn good stuff! :)

I have a rubber stamper that says "DELETE" on it for properly marking
foreheads, and a very large mallet reserved for just such occasions.
If you think that's too harsh, you should hear what I do to _actual
spammers_.  "Just Hit Delete" is complete and utter bullshit muttered by
people who haven't had an email address for more than a year yet, and
encouraged by spammers, who are generally nothing more than
criminals--or have you not noticed that the vast majority of the spam
you receieve is quite obviously some kind of (and I'm not talking about
forged addresses, I'm talking about criminal business practices) fraud?
              AIM: evilDagmar  Jabber: evilDagmar at jabber.org