Eclipse Internet VIRUSshield detected VIRUS (W32/Netsky.c at MM) in mail from you.

Declan Moriarty declan.moriartyt at ntlworld.ie
Thu Feb 26 08:30:34 PST 2004

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 02:16:35AM -0800, Jeremy Utley enlightened us thusly
> On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 01:07, Declan Moriarty wrote:
> > How come these m$ virus checkers are finding the viruses while the
> > 'superior' spamassassin (which wouldn't work for me in a blind fit) lets
> > them through? 100% of my spam in this mailbox is from the list. Is
> > somebody updating the spamassassin? How about these rules
> >
> > spam threshold =5.0
> > autolearn=yes
> >

> > html mail +6
> > any .pif, .scr, .exe, .zip attachments +6
> > CAPS LOCKED +9
> > mail by microsoft outlook +3
> >
> > That would probably trim a few off the crud we seem to get.
> >
> > 	/Hot under collar
> >
> > 	Declan Moriarty.
>
> a) SpamAssassin isn't designed for detecting virus E-mail - it's
> designed for detecting Spam - there *IS* a difference, even if you do
> not think so :)

What's your point? Do you want the stuff on the list or something? Is
Spamassassin not capable of removing a .zip?

> b) I can agree with some of these rules, but I completely disagee with
> the blocking of HTML mail,
OK - html mail +2.5?

> simply because some brain-dead mailer
> programs will ONLY send in HTML mail.

Can you name such a brain dead linux  mail program? I can't remember
when I last read a html mail on this list; it's certainly not a rergular
occurence, and the user is reminded to switch it off in his options. I
can't even think of a windoze mailer that uses _only_ html mail. There
may be one, but I don't know it.

> And I completley disagree with
> tacking spam points onto someone simply because they choose to use what
> IMHO is the BEST mailer for the windows platform.  Yes, I know Outlook
> is a virus heaven, but that's because too many people are too clueless
> to keep up on the updates...they install and run, and get hit.
/draws deep breath. Sighs

Actually, those comments don't have to be answered. They implode on
their own. You are talking like a paranoid windoze user defending good
old bill.

> Just my .02 - JUST HIT DELETE!  No spam filtering is 100% perfect, and
> if you think it is, I want some of what ever you're smokin, because it's
> gotta be damn good stuff! :)

I don't smoke. Either you were born with what I have or you weren't. I
get sick of windoze crap invading a linux list. 90%+ of the spam I see
is html, and 99% of the windoze attachments I get are unwanted
--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.