Eclipse Internet VIRUSshield detected VIRUS (W32/Netsky.c at MM) in mail from you.

Jeremy Utley jeremy at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Feb 26 02:16:35 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 01:07, Declan Moriarty wrote:
> How come these m$ virus checkers are finding the viruses while the
> 'superior' spamassassin (which wouldn't work for me in a blind fit) lets
> them through? 100% of my spam in this mailbox is from the list. Is
> somebody updating the spamassassin? How about these rules
>
> spam threshold =5.0
> autolearn=yes
>

> html mail +6
> any .pif, .scr, .exe, .zip attachments +6
> CAPS LOCKED +9
> mail by microsoft outlook +3
>
> That would probably trim a few off the crud we seem to get.
>
> 	/Hot under collar
>
> 	Declan Moriarty.

a) SpamAssassin isn't designed for detecting virus E-mail - it's
designed for detecting Spam - there *IS* a difference, even if you do
not think so :)

b) I can agree with some of these rules, but I completely disagee with
the blocking of HTML mail, simply because some brain-dead mailer
programs will ONLY send in HTML mail.  And I completley disagree with
tacking spam points onto someone simply because they choose to use what
IMHO is the BEST mailer for the windows platform.  Yes, I know Outlook
is a virus heaven, but that's because too many people are too clueless
to keep up on the updates...they install and run, and get hit.

Just my .02 - JUST HIT DELETE!  No spam filtering is 100% perfect, and
if you think it is, I want some of what ever you're smokin, because it's
gotta be damn good stuff! :)

-J-