modules.conf

Declan Moriarty declan.moriartyt at ntlworld.ie
Thu Feb 26 01:24:54 PST 2004

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 07:13:11PM -0600, Albert enlightened us thusly
> I have always before compiled everything I needed into the kernel, so
> have not been bothered with a modules.conf file.  Now, I find myself
> wanting to understand how modules work.  I have read the man page and a
> couple of HOW-TOs, but am still in the dark on several really basic
> points.   I can get the module names from /lib/modules, but just where
> do the alias_names come from?  The man page says that the modules.conf
> file is optional. So when is it required?
>
> In this link:
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Module-HOWTO/index.html
> it says:
> "If you are maintaining one system and memory is not in short supply, it
> is probably easier to avoid modprobe and the various files and
> directories it needs, and just do raw insmods in a startup script."
> Which startup script(s) would that be?  Does anyone here do this?

2 things that help are

	man modules.conf
	/usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt

The former gives you some of the Greek needed to make up a modules.conf,
the latter all the numbers and what they mean. Modules.conf is very
accepting of generic  or device names. The thing after alias can be a
char-major number, a device name, or a slot (e.g. sound-slot-0 addresses
a chip which actually is on the motherboard in this box).

> --
> "Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of
> thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible,
> because there will be no words in which to express it."
>     -- George Orwell as Syme in "1984"

He could have been talkking about political correctness :-).

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.