KDE 3.2 slow as root

Declan Moriarty declan.moriartyt at ntlworld.ie
Thu Feb 26 00:56:25 PST 2004

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 07:09:44PM +0100, Guy Benson enlightened us thusly
> Hi, list,
>
> I've just finished compiling KDE 3.2 with qt 3.3.0. Everything seems to
> work, from a
> functional perspective. I am booting to init level 5 and using the
> following to start
> kdm:
>
> x:5:respawn:/opt/kde/bin/kdm
>
> When I login as root, everything takes noticeably longer, so much so
> that my mouse
> pointer ends up "skipping" across the screen, rather than "gliding"
> normally. About a
> minute after the desktop and the default windows, etc, have been loaded,
> this goes effect
> away. However, when I want to load, for example, another xterm,
> konqueror window, etc.
> the effect reappears: things are slow for about a minute or so, and then
> the effect goes
> away. Now, when I login as a non-root user, everything works fine: no
> performance issue.
> If anything, I would have expected the opposite.
>
> Any ideas as to how I might be able to diagnose the probelm? I'm not
> really sure where to
> start...

Try hdparm -tT /dev/hdx as user and root. It just eliminates that one.

If you have kde, don't you have that process monitor thingy in there
(long time since I used kde regularly) It will (eventually:) show you
what is grabbing the action.

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.