KDE 3.2 slow as root

Guy Benson gbbenson68 at netscape.net
Wed Feb 25 22:03:18 PST 2004

jbyron at telus.net wrote:

>><snip>
>>When I log in as root, everything takes noticeably longer, so much so
>>

>Simple answer, don't login as root.
>(Doc, my arm hurts when I ...)
>

>><snip>
>>konqueror window, etc.
>>

>As far as I know, you should not be logged in as root while connected to the
>net.  Not overly safe.  Nope.

Yeah, I know these things. I mainly log in as root to install some
software, since I've
disabled su. I use konqueror to browse html on the local filesystem.

>><snip>
>>Any ideas as to how I might be able to diagnose the probelm? I'm not
>>really sure where to start...
>>

>I'm really not sure; never been an issue since I don't log in with the root
>account. I suggest logging in as a non-root user and using 'su' from a
>terminal, or a "Run program as user..." sort of feature should KDE have it
>when you need root priviliges; I'm sure KDE does have that feature, but I've
>been using Enlightenment, exclusively, for so long now I can't recall.
>
>Compare any relevant log files (XFree/KDE/..) '/var/log/..' or console output
>for problems when logged in as root and a non-root user.  See if there are any
>differences that'd cause a problem such as you describe.
>
>Another possibility, perhaps, is services and available memory; if certain
>services are running with a root login and not in a user login, and those
>services are lagging or using too much memory such that you're computer is
>swapping, that would likely cause the root account to lag.  Thus, make sure
>DMA is enabled and you have plenty of swap-space, or you have lots of memory,
>or you do not log in as root.
>
>Try listing processes as both root and non-root users and compare the results;
>is there a process running in the root account taking up most of the CPU
>cycles?
>
>Check your devices. Does root have access to a device that unpriviliged users
>do not? Is this device causing problems when off/on?

Thanks. All good ideas. I'll try these things.

>When in doubt, www.google.com.
>(Most of the above came from a few moments' searching.)

I tried this. What did you use to search? Sometimes I find Google about
as useful as
looking for an 'e' in a 10000 word document...

Guy