Kevin Alm kevinalm at shenessex.heartland.net
Wed Feb 25 21:25:48 PST 2004

On Wednesday 25 February 2004 10:40 pm, Albert wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 22:14:16 -0500
> marc brady <mbrady4 at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > add this to the append line of /etc/lilo.conf
> >
> > append=" ide-scsi=hd?"
> >
> > replace question mark with drive letter for your burner
> >
> > then run lilo -v in terminal as root and reboot all will be well then
>
> Thanks, Marc.  However, I boot with grub and already have hdc=ide-scsi
> as a boot option.  Is that equivalent?
>
> --
> "Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of
> thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible,
> because there will be no words in which to express it."
>     -- George Orwell as Syme in "1984"

Using ide-scsi as a module is problematic without an initrd. The hd?=ide-scsi
kernel append doesn't work because at that point the /lib/modules/<version>
tree isn't available. I prefer to compile ide-scsi into the kernel and use
the kernel append hd?=scsi. If you do this you _must_not_ compile in ide-cd.
If both ide-cd and ide-scsi are both compiled in, only ide-cd will be used.
Compile ide-cd as a module or not at all.
Kevin