modules.conf

Craig Colton meerkats at bellsouth.net
Wed Feb 25 19:33:13 PST 2004

On Wednesday 25 February 2004 08:13 pm, Albert wrote:

> In this link:
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Module-HOWTO/index.html
> it says:

> "If you are maintaining one system and memory is not in short supply, it
> is probably easier to avoid modprobe and the various files and
> directories it needs, and just do raw insmods in a startup script."
> Which startup script(s) would that be?  Does anyone here do this?

I'm no kernel expert, but this statement is nothing but goofy krap (maybe its
out of context?). The only advantage of using modules is  that they can be
loaded and unloaded as necessary, thereby not wasting computer resources. Why
would you insert modules (insmod) at startup if they are not needed? This, as
far as I can see, is no different than having the drivers "built in".

An exception might be drivers that can _only_  be built as modules, like older
alsa versions.

And yes, you could write a startup script that uses insmod if you wanted to.
It could be as crude as :

	#!/bin/bash

	insmod myModule

placed in /etc/rc.d/init.d. and linked in the proper run directories.

Regards,
Craig