i cannot understand any of this

Gregory Davis gregdavis at ieee.org
Wed Feb 25 17:39:35 PST 2004

michael wrote:

> I cannot understand a word of this,would someone have the kindness and
> the patience to give me at least a clue?Thanks in advance,michael
>

> TSC cannot be used as a timesource.  <4>Possible reasons for this are:
>   You're running with Speedstep,
>   You don't have DMA enabled for your hard disk (see hdparm),
>   Incorrect TSC synchronization on an SMP system (see dmesg).
> Falling back to a sane timesource now.

You probably have a laptop that scales back the clock freq on the fly to
save batteries and that screws up the system clock.  Just a guess.

> EXT3 FS on hda2, internal journal
> NTFS volume version 3.1.
> kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
> EXT3 FS on hdb1, internal journal
> EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.

Normal info about your partitions as they are mounted.

> atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x7a on
> isa0060/serio0).
> atkbd.c: This is an XFree86 bug. It shouldn't access hardware directly.
> atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x7a on
> isa0060/serio0).
> atkbd.c: This is an XFree86 bug. It shouldn't access hardware directly

The keyboard you use is probably a special keyboard with fancy buttons at
the top which the kernel doesn't know how to map.  So when you press them,
or when the kernel loads and scans the keyboard at boot, you get a
complaint.  Nothing happens but this error message when you press them, and
if you press them in Xfree86, you probably don't even get an error message.
The next time I am bored I am going to write a hint about this, but for
now... investigate setkeycodes, showkey -s, and the files in /etc/X11/xkb.

Greg