modules.conf

Albert alwagner at tcac.net
Wed Feb 25 17:13:11 PST 2004

I have always before compiled everything I needed into the kernel, so
have not been bothered with a modules.conf file.  Now, I find myself
wanting to understand how modules work.  I have read the man page and a
couple of HOW-TOs, but am still in the dark on several really basic
points.   I can get the module names from /lib/modules, but just where
do the alias_names come from?  The man page says that the modules.conf
file is optional. So when is it required?

In this link:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Module-HOWTO/index.html
it says:
"If you are maintaining one system and memory is not in short supply, it
is probably easier to avoid modprobe and the various files and
directories it needs, and just do raw insmods in a startup script."
Which startup script(s) would that be?  Does anyone here do this?

--
"Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of
thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible,