KDE 3.2 slow as root

Guy Benson gbbenson68 at netscape.net
Wed Feb 25 10:09:44 PST 2004

Hi, list,

I've just finished compiling KDE 3.2 with qt 3.3.0. Everything seems to
work, from a
functional perspective. I am booting to init level 5 and using the
following to start
kdm:

x:5:respawn:/opt/kde/bin/kdm

When I login as root, everything takes noticeably longer, so much so
that my mouse
pointer ends up "skipping" across the screen, rather than "gliding"
normally. About a
minute after the desktop and the default windows, etc, have been loaded,
this goes effect
away. However, when I want to load, for example, another xterm,
konqueror window, etc.
the effect reappears: things are slow for about a minute or so, and then
the effect goes
away. Now, when I login as a non-root user, everything works fine: no
performance issue.
If anything, I would have expected the opposite.

Any ideas as to how I might be able to diagnose the probelm? I'm not
really sure where to
start...

Thanks,

Guy