wvdial, pppd and pap/chap

Christian H. Kuhn official at qno.de
Tue Feb 24 15:29:38 PST 2004

Hi,

& dixit Declan Moriarty:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 12:02:54PM +0100, Christian H. Kuhn enlightened us thusly
>> pppd logs (debug option) first one pap authentification try, which is
>> rejected, and then LOTS of chap authentification tries, but all
>> rejected. It's not astonishing, because /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and
>> /etc/ppp/chapsecrets are empty. If i understand some docu right,
>> wvdial should be able to write those files, but it leaves them
>> untouched.
>
> Seriously, the protocol negotiation failed, or the remote didn't accept
> your password. There should be user & password in /etc/wvdial.conf.

There are.

> If
> you are doing lfs-5, forget pap-secrets etc if you have wvdial.conf set
> up.

Ok. I forget. But how tell it to pppd?

> Are you ringing the right number?

Grmpf.

Yes. .config at http://www.qno.de/computer/config-lfskernel-2.4.22

> Have you tried 'modprobe ppp' before dialling?

No. ppp is compiled into the kernel, not as a module.

> I think wvdial.conf also takes 'stupid mode = 1' as an option. Also
> beware that if you have default paths set, ppp0 can not become the
> default.

I wish i had routing problems to resolve. There is no ppp0.

> If you continue with issues, post your wvdial.conf. Here's my kernel
> modules for ppp

----wvdial.conf-----------------------
[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/tts/1
Baud = 115200
Init1 = AT&F
Init2 = ATB8
ISDN = 0
Modem Name = Hagenuk Speed Dragon
Modem Type = ISDN Terminal Adapter
; Phone = <Target Phone Number>
; Username = <Your Login Name>
; Password = <Your Password>
Auto DNS = off
Idle seconds = 300
debug

[Dialer cybergate4]
Phone = 019161
Username = night at cybergate4
Password = night

[Dialer arcor]
Phone = 0192076
Username = arcor-spar
Password = internet

[Dialer cybergate7]
Phone = 019161
Username = enjoy at cybergate7
Password = enjoy

[Dialer ateo]
Phone = 01937400569
Username = einwahl at ateo.de
Password = internet
-----End wvdial.conf----------------

And of course i do not type "wvdial" but "wvdial cybergate1" e.g.

Kind regards,
Chris