setting up scsi emulation for cd reader/writer

Albert alwagner at tcac.net
Tue Feb 24 12:01:51 PST 2004

I am running LFS-5.0 with kernel-2.4.24.  I have, using the BLFS
instructions, installed cdrtools-2.0.0.3 and recompiled my kernel
according to "Configuring your kernel for CD-Writing."  I selected "y"
on all options so I have no modules. I have also installed X-CD-Roast as
a front end.  I have also tried the boot options hdc=ide-scsi and
hdc=scsi.  Below are snippets from my startup.  Yet, cdrtools does not
detect my cd reader/writer.  Any help appreciated.
--------
<more>
Feb 24 13:03:21 lfs kernel: hdc: SONY CD-RW CRX216E, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM
drive
<more>
Feb 24 13:03:21 lfs kernel: SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
Feb 24 13:03:21 lfs kernel: kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k
scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2
-----
--
"Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of
thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible,