wvdial, pppd and pap/chap

Declan Moriarty declan.moriartyt at ntlworld.ie
Tue Feb 24 09:23:21 PST 2004

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 12:02:54PM +0100, Christian H. Kuhn enlightened us thusly
> Hi all,
>
> I've installed pppd, wvstreams and wvdial. wvdail is able to dial and
> connecting. Then it waits, tells me it doesn't know what to do and
> starts pppd.
>
> pppd logs (debug option) first one pap authentification try, which is
> rejected, and then LOTS of chap authentification tries, but all
> rejected. It's not astonishing, because /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and
> /etc/ppp/chapsecrets are empty. If i understand some docu right,
> wvdial should be able to write those files, but it leaves them
> untouched.
>
> Any hints?

Yeah - it hasn't a clue ;-)

Seriously, the protocol negotiation failed, or the remote didn't accept
your password. There should be user & password in /etc/wvdial.conf. If
you are doing lfs-5, forget pap-secrets etc if you have wvdial.conf set
up.

Are you ringing the right number? Is your kernel PPP capable, does it
work as root? Have you tried 'modprobe ppp' before dialling?

I think wvdial.conf also takes 'stupid mode = 1' as an option. Also
beware that if you have default paths set, ppp0 can not become the
default.

If you continue with issues, post your wvdial.conf. Here's my kernel
modules for ppp

ppp_deflate             2968   1  (autoclean)
zlib_inflate           18532   0  (autoclean) [ppp_deflate]
zlib_deflate           17944   0  (autoclean) [ppp_deflate]
bsd_comp                3992   0  (autoclean)
ppp_async               6592   1  (autoclean)
ppp_generic            16064   3  (autoclean) [ppp_deflate bsd_comp \
							ppp_async]
slhc                    4704   1  (autoclean) [ppp_generic]

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.