Modelines for Montiors

Michael Brömer mib at telebel.de
Tue Feb 24 02:48:23 PST 2004

Am Dienstag, 24. Februar 2004 09:11 schrieb Arindam Dey:

> And this is a LCD monitor so thats why I thought it
> needs the modeline.
You did not mention that you use a LCD monitor.

The data you gave does most likely not belong to a
LCD monitor. Vertical refresh with 160Hz?
The width:height ration you gave was 4:3. Which, for
a LCD monitor, does not correspond well with the
displaysize you gave. Between 15" and 20" LCD
monitors usually have a width:height ration of
5:4 and a resolution of 1280x1024.

I have a LCD Monitor here and my monitor section is:

Section "Monitor"
  Identifier  	"MIRO FP176"
  VendorName  	"MIRO"
  ModelName  	"FP176"
  HorizSync  	30-80
  VertRefresh  	55-60
  DisplaySize	338 270
EndSection

60Hz is what you usually want from a LCD monitor. Since
it has a fixed physical resolution you only need one mode
in the "Display" section. Mine is 1280x1024.

If you give the correct "DisplaySize" in your config
file XFree will calculate the correct resolution by itself.

It is highly unlikely that you would have to mess with
a modeline. The last time i used a modeline was about
5 years ago, when i had a 20" "fixed frequency" monitor.

--
Michael