Modelines for Montiors

Arindam Dey lfsdeveloper at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 24 00:11:42 PST 2004

--- Michael Brömer <mib at telebel.de> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 24. Februar 2004 05:04 schrieb Arindam
> Dey:
>
> > Monitor DDC probe results
> > ID: GWY0013
> > Name: Gateway CM751
> > Horizontal Sync (kHZ): 30-95
> > Vertical Sync (HZ) : 50-160
> > Width (mm): 360
> > Height(mm): 270
> >
> > After much googling I have come to the point where
> > am pretty sure I need to add a modeline to my
> monitor
> > section of the XF86Config file.
>
> Try adding something like this to your XF86Config:
>
> Section "Monitor"
>   Identifier	"Gateway CM751"
>   VendorName	"Gateway"
>   ModelName  	"CM751"
>   HorizSync  	30-95
>   VertRefresh  	50-160
>   DisplaySize 	360 270
> EndSection
>
> XFree tends to use the maximum values given. With
> analog
> monitors quality of what is displayed tends to be
> reduced
> when you get close to the hardware limits.
> So i would be a little conservative on the maximum
> numbers,
> maybe start out with "HorizSync 30-85". That should
> give
> you about 88Hz when running at 1280x960.
>
> --
> Michael

Thanks Michael.

I already have that relevant portion in my XF86Config
file. My fuax pas should have posted the relevant
XF86Config but had forgotten to get it. Even then it
is displaying only 640x480. Hmm try giving it less
(30-85) so that it does more....does this work never
tried it will try it later when I reach the pc. Don't
have it here right now.

And this is a LCD monitor so thats why I thought it
needs the modeline.

Thanks,

Arindam Dey

=====