Modelines for Montiors

Michael Brömer mib at telebel.de
Mon Feb 23 22:27:20 PST 2004

Am Dienstag, 24. Februar 2004 05:04 schrieb Arindam Dey:

> Monitor DDC probe results
> ID: GWY0013
> Name: Gateway CM751
> Horizontal Sync (kHZ): 30-95
> Vertical Sync (HZ) : 50-160
> Width (mm): 360
> Height(mm): 270
>
> After much googling I have come to the point where I
> am pretty sure I need to add a modeline to my monitor
> section of the XF86Config file.

Try adding something like this to your XF86Config:

Section "Monitor"
  Identifier	"Gateway CM751"
  VendorName	"Gateway"
  ModelName  	"CM751"
  HorizSync  	30-95
  VertRefresh  	50-160
  DisplaySize 	360 270
EndSection

XFree tends to use the maximum values given. With analog
monitors quality of what is displayed tends to be reduced
when you get close to the hardware limits.
So i would be a little conservative on the maximum numbers,
maybe start out with "HorizSync 30-85". That should give
you about 88Hz when running at 1280x960.

--
Michael