XFree86 installation error

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Feb 23 20:17:24 PST 2004

Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:

>On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 17:08, Tushar Teredesai wrote:
>

>>Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:

>>>Page 1048.  =)
>>>
>>>Now... Is there any doubt left as to why XFree86, unlike the rest of the
>>>packages, has a log file created when it builds?  *nudge*tushar*nudge*
>>>
>>>(I didn't think this would take more than a week to happen to someone)
>>>

>>The build should have stopped when it encountered the error. Why did it
>>continue till the end? Seems like the WORLDOPTS flag is not doing its job.
>>
>>The book uses
>>WORLDOPTS="" make
>>IMO, the correct one is
>>make WORLDOPTS=""
>>
>>If the build stops when it encounters the error there is no need for a
>>log since the error is right there on the console.
>>

>Nope.  Again, the error output for just that one error was 599 lines
>long.  The top of the error would have scrolled beyond the length of the
>scrollback buffer and into nowhere by quite some distance.  If the
>output hadn't gone to a log, he'd have no way of finding out what the
>error was without running make again and then piping it into a log.
>Whether or not the build continued past that point is a bit irrelevant
>in this case.

It doesn't matter how long the error is, my point is that the build
should have stopped when the error occured instead of continuing after
that. Either the instructions in the book need to be fixed or the OP did
not use the instructions properly.

Additionally, I have not been against creating a log! All I meant is
here
<http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/blfs-book/2004-February/007612.html>.