XFree86 installation error

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Mon Feb 23 19:08:48 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 17:08, Tushar Teredesai wrote:
> Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 09:17, Sebastiano wrote:
> >

> >>Ok, I'm examining my compile log, but it's 2600 pages long and 8MB! I have
> >>found (on page 1048 :-) this piece of log:
> >>
> >>In file included from xftcfg.c:28:
> >>xftint.h:29:35: fontconfig/fontconfig.h: No such file or directory
> >>In file included from XftFreetype.h:28,
> >>

> >Page 1048.  =)
> >
> >Now... Is there any doubt left as to why XFree86, unlike the rest of the
> >packages, has a log file created when it builds?  *nudge*tushar*nudge*
> >
> >(I didn't think this would take more than a week to happen to someone)
> >

> The build should have stopped when it encountered the error. Why did it
> continue till the end? Seems like the WORLDOPTS flag is not doing its job.
>
> The book uses
> WORLDOPTS="" make
> IMO, the correct one is
> make WORLDOPTS=""
>
> If the build stops when it encounters the error there is no need for a
> log since the error is right there on the console.

Nope.  Again, the error output for just that one error was 599 lines
long.  The top of the error would have scrolled beyond the length of the
scrollback buffer and into nowhere by quite some distance.  If the
output hadn't gone to a log, he'd have no way of finding out what the
error was without running make again and then piping it into a log.
Whether or not the build continued past that point is a bit irrelevant
in this case.
              AIM: evilDagmar  Jabber: evilDagmar at jabber.org