Problem switching from X to terminal

John Vodden eeyxjav at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Feb 23 09:30:25 PST 2004

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 13:24:18 +0000, Andre Müller wrote:

> nothing definite, but i remember reading that when using dri and
> framebuffers AND the svgalib (i don't know if you sport it, but
> according to your setup...
>
> well, the svga documentation said that the video timings have
> to be identical for svga and x, then.
>
> which is not that easy as they don't directly translate. so it
> needs either some computing of correct values or leaving out
> one of the features. your symptoms seem to be as described
> in the docs. if so, read there.

I haven't installed svgalib but if the symptoms are the same then I'm
interested in the line of enquiry. I just downloaded the source but have
not been able to find that peice of information or what to do about it in
the documentation.

Turning off the framebuffer (which would in theory be removing one of the
features) just has the effect of changing the symptoms slightly without
fixing them. (Framebuffer => blank screen ; no framebuffer => fixed image
on screen).

Thanks for the lead.