bug in kernel 2.6.3?

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Mon Feb 23 02:19:47 PST 2004

Rob van Dam wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have updated from kernel 2.6.2 to 2.6.3, with exact the same
> options. My system showed some strange behaviour, like a total freeze
> (I had to do a hard reset) after starting the Kde cd player. I'm still
> using scsi emulation for cd-burning. My kern.log showed this:

I think getting rid of of scsi emulation should be your first issue -
I had a *lot* of lockups on 2.6 kernels before I switched to ATAPI
burning. It's highly unstable on 2.6, and no one seems to have any
interest in fixing it.

To be honest, I don't know why they didn't just drop it entirely for
2.6, given how unreliable it is. Backward compatablity doesn't count for
much if the feature simply doesn't work.

Simon.