Problem switching from X to terminal

Declan Moriarty declan.moriartyt at ntlworld.ie
Sun Feb 22 09:27:42 PST 2004

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 04:14:36PM +0000, John Vodden enlightened us thusly
> Hello
>
> I've worked through LFS 5.2-PRE1 without problems. I then used the
> instructions from BLFS 5.0 to install XFree86 4.3.0. I continued with
> the instructions to set up xdm.
>
> When I first log-in everything works correctly. If I log-out I am no
> longer able to access the text-mode consoles. When I log out the following
> occurs:
>
>     1) screen changes mode and displays junk for a moment
>     2) screen changes mode back and returns to xdm log-in screen
>            at this point the X server has moved from alt-f7 to alt-f8
>
> Now if I try to switch to a tty I get a completely blank screen if the
> console is set up to use a framebuffer (via the tdfxfb kernel module) or a
> static view of the last x-display if the console is set to a vga video
> mode. I am able to switch back to X with no issue. I am also able to type
> "blind" to the console; I can even change runlevel without getting the
> console back! It appears to be some kind of video issue.
>
> I have a 3dfx Voodoo3, X uses dri support (tdfx kernel module) which is
> functioning correctly.

We _are_ fairly well souped up, aren't we? DRI, Framebuffer, runlevel 5
I gather. I'm not doing that because I don't want your headaches ;-).

That aside, what is really odd is not that the video screw up, but that
you end up on alt-<F8>. That tells me something is hanging onto
alt-<F7>. X grabs the 'next available' terminal. Your problem may well
ne hogging terminal 7.

Why not go through the motions again, grab a console or xterm at the
appropiate moment and type ps-e > file. You might see 2 versions of the
same program, (e.g. X) or something on tty7.

I would also back off to runlevel three and see if it improves things.

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.