Sound problem - test in console

Declan Moriarty declan.moriartyt at ntlworld.ie
Sat Feb 21 14:03:52 PST 2004

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 05:18:29PM +0200, Martin Kavec enlightened us thusly
> Declan Moriarty wrote:
>
> > I usually used cat <anyfile> >dev/dsp. I found a short text file
> > (e.g. /etc/fstab) gave a short rasp of white noise, which is all you
> > want to know. If you use a long one, it will keep going.
> >

> Hmmm, cat doesn't do a thing here, though the sound works now (my previous
> post).

Some sound cards don't respond because

	1. Like the es1371 (e.g. later creative soundblaster) they are
closer to 'winsoundcards', e.g. require more of the cpu.
	2. Others require a dos program to kick their butt and wake them
up. Isapnp used do it for me when I used one.

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.