still trying to get kernel pppoe to work

Tom Haller tom.haller at att.net
Sat Feb 21 08:58:55 PST 2004

Thank you, Declan, for your suggestion to look in the vger.kernel.org
ppp mailing list. I have stumbled into that list before while googling
and haven't found the answer there either, but maybe I'll try
subscribing and posting the problem.

DJ, I tried compiling rp-pppoe with kernel pppoe and get this error in
the middle of the output of ./configure:

  checking for id... (cached) /usr/bin/id
  checking for Linux 2.4.X kernel-mode PPPoE support... yes

  *** Oops.  I cannot figure out what version of pppd you have.
  *** All I got back was 'denied
  rp-pppoe.so'
  *** I will keep going, but it may not work.

I'm not sure why there would be a permission error as all the
files are read/write and owned by me.

As root I get the same output except for a different error::

  checking for id... (cached) /usr/bin/id
  checking for Linux 2.4.X kernel-mode PPPoE support... yes

  *** Oops.  I cannot figure out what version of pppd you have.
  *** All I got back was 'loaded.
  2.4.2
  2.4.2'
  *** I will keep going, but it may not work.

The instructions I've seen about compiling rp for kernel-mode pppoe
reference a patched version of ppp 2.4.1, so maybe there is an
incompatibility here.

Finally, running make, this is the entire output (I've wrapped this, so
the gcc's spill over several lines):

gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -ansi -pedantic
'-DPPPOE_PATH="/usr/sbin/pppoe"' '-DPPPD_PATH="/usr/sbin/pppd"'
'-DPLUGIN_PATH="/etc/ppp/plugins/rp-pppoe.so"'
'-DPPPOE_SERVER_OPTIONS="/etc/ppp/pppoe-server-options"' -Ilibevent
'-DVERSION="3.5"' -c -o pppoe.o pppoe.c
gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -ansi -pedantic
'-DPPPOE_PATH="/usr/sbin/pppoe"' '-DPPPD_PATH="/usr/sbin/pppd"'
'-DPLUGIN_PATH="/etc/ppp/plugins/rp-pppoe.so"'
'-DPPPOE_SERVER_OPTIONS="/etc/ppp/pppoe-server-options"' -Ilibevent
'-DVERSION="3.5"' -c -o if.o if.c
if.c: In function `openInterface':
if.c:425: error: storage size of `ifr' isn't known
if.c:425: warning: unused variable `ifr'
make: *** [if.o] Error 1

That last error I've always gotten, whether I'm compiling for
kernel-mode pppoe or not. I never figured out that one out.

I am able to connect from the same box under Debian 3.0, without
specifying name servers in /etc/resolve.conf, as I get them dynamically
from my provider, with "usepeerdns" in the file in /etc/ppp/peers.

Thank you for your responses, much appreciated. Sorry for such a long
message.

Tom