Sound problem - test in console

Declan Moriarty declan.moriartyt at ntlworld.ie
Sat Feb 21 04:47:53 PST 2004

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 06:29:50AM +0200, Martin Kavec enlightened us thusly
> I am going crazy last two days, not being able to find the problem of the
> silence from my speakers. They are connected to the PC :).
>
> Everything worked just fine until recently on this LFS4.0 with Alsa0.9.2 and
> 2.4.19. I am not sure when the problem started and what I have been doing
> before the sound muted. Just to make sure, I have recompiled the kernel
> with sound support only, installed the modules , depmod -a, checked the
> modules.conf against the BLFS1.0 and all seemed just fine. The kernel boots
> fine, the modules load and lsmod lists them. In the logs nothing unusual.
> Alsamix is OK, sound sliders are up and unmuted, I am the member of audio
> group. In KDE-3.2 I have no sound at all.
>
> I know the problem could be in KDE, but I want to make sure, that sound
> works in console. I have a foggy idea about cat auriofile.au > /dev/dps or
> something like this, but this doesn't work either on the PC with working
> sound.
>
> Anybody have an idea what could I do more? How to test the sound in console?

I usually used cat <anyfile> >dev/dsp. I found a short text file
(e.g. /etc/fstab) gave a short rasp of white noise, which is all you
want to know. If you use a long one, it will keep going.

What have you in modules.conf? Most soundcards have suggested lines in
the kernel ~/Documentation/sound/yourcard. I presume alsa has a similar
resource, but after watching the continual stream of buggered sound
installations appearing as topics on this list with 'alsa' in them
somewhere, I'm tempted to break ranks on that and stick with OSS
modules.

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.