Sound problem - test in console

Martin Kavec martin.kavec at uku.fi
Sat Feb 21 04:57:38 PST 2004

DJ Lucas wrote:
> Martin Kavec wrote:
>

>> Anybody have an idea what could I do more? How to test the sound in
>> console?
>>
>> Martin
>
> If you installed alsa-utils then /usr/bin/aplay.
>
> -- DJ Lucas

aplay helped me to find following problem.

# aplay an.audio.file.wav

aplay: pcm_write: 1025: write error: Input/output error

I fed google with the message, got only 9 link, so I got to pretty exotic
situation with the sound. The explanation is that alsa started to use, to
me for unknown reasons, default.pcm.device 1 instead of first available 0.
I changed the setting in /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf and now I get some dB
from the speakers.

Thanks for help.

Martin